Preserving Made Easy by Ellie Todd and Margaret Howard is filled with recipes and techniques to help new preservers. It’s a helpful read if you are looking to start canning and preserving for your own. Find this excerpt in Chapter 1, “Jams.”
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots 125 mL
- 1-3/4 cups water 425 mL
- 2 cups finely chopped cored, peeled winter pears
- (Bosc or Anjou) 500 mL
- 2 tsp lemon juice 10 mL
- 1 box regular powdered fruit pectin 1
- 4-1/2 cups granulated sugar 1.125 L
- Soak apricots in water for 4 hours or overnight.
- Pour apricots and liquid into a very large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Add pears, lemon juice and pectin. Bring to a full boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add sugar, return to a full boil and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Ladle into hot jars and process for 10 minutes.
Note that this jam is slow to set.