With at least 12 servings, this dish works great for potlucks and gatherings.
- 4 pounds unpared potatoes, cooked, drained, and cooled slightly
- 11⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (101⁄4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup crushed cornflakes
- Peel potatoes, then shred into a bowl. Add cheese, and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute onion in 1⁄4 cup butter until tender. Remove from heat. Stir in soup and sour cream, and blend well.
- Pour soup mixture over potatoes and cheese in bowl, and mix to blend.
- Turn mixture into a greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- About 15 minutes before you’re ready to bake the potatoes, preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining butter.
- Sprinkle cornflakes over mixture in dish, and drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until casserole is bubbling and cornflakes are golden.