In Recipes from the Root Cellar (Storey Publishing, 2010) explore the delicious, versatile world of root-cellar vegetables including winter squashes, jewel toned root vegetables, and hearty potatoes which open a world of recipes for in the colder months. Enjoy all of these vegetables whether they come from straight from the market or a root cellar where they have been stored and learn to expand your realm of recipes to include your root cellar vegetables to dishes like Potato Knishes and many more.
- 1-1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chicken fat or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-1/2 packages (17 ounces each) puff pastry, thawed
- Spicy mustard, for serving
- Lightly oil a half sheet pan.
- Cover potatoes with cold, salted water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and boil until fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well, and return to the saucepan. Add butter.
- Melt the chicken fat in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and saute until golden and soft, about 10 minutes. Add to potatoes, and mash well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove pastry sheets from refrigerator 1 at a time (chilled pastry is easier to work with). Cut each sheet into 9 equal squares. Stretch each square to form a much larger square, about 1/16-inch thick.
- Drop a rounded tablespoon of potato filling in the center of each square. Fold over 2 opposite sides of the dough, then fold over the 2 ends to form a neat parcel. Place seam-side down on prepared pan. Repeat with remaining pastry squares and filling.
- Place pan in the freezer while you preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake knishes for about 20 minutes (30 minutes if completely frozen), or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with spicy mustard.
Note: Chicken fat is the preferred medium for sauteing the onions, as it thoroughly flavors the filling, but any cooking oil will work fine.
More from Recipes from the Root Cellar:
- Bacon Sauteed Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- Vegetarian Egg Rolls Recipe
- Pumpkin Waffles Recipe
- Vegetable Recipes from the Root Cellar
Reprinted with permission from Recipes from the Root Cellar by Andrea Chesman, published by Storey Publishing.