These fancy cookies have a naturally sweet filling.
Cookies:• 1/2 cup butter OR margarine, softened
• 1/2 cup peanut butter
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 1/4 cups flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
Filling:• 1 1/2 cups raisins OR golden raisins
• 3/4 cup orange juice
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 3/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
1. Combine butter, peanut butter, sugar, egg and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy.
2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Stir into butter mixture; mix well. Cover; refrigerate until firm.
3. Combine all filling ingredients. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves and mixture thickens slightly; cool.
4. Heat oven to 350°F.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 2-inch rounds with cookie cutter. Place a teaspoon of filling on center of half the dough rounds. Cut small circles from centers of remaining dough rounds; place on top of filled rounds. Press edges lightly together to seal. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in upper third of oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets; cool on wire racks.
This recipe originally ran in the December 2006 edition of Heart of the Home.
More cookie recipes:• Chocolate Crinkle Cookie Recipe
• Slice and Bake Currant Cookie Recipe
• Classic Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Recipe
• White Chocolate and Spice Cookie Recipe