If you have a plethora of smoked sausage, this recipe will help you spice up your chicken gumbo. Slow cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours.
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2cup chopped green pepper, optional
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sliced okra
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 8 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of hot sauce, or to taste
- 3 cups cooked rice, hot
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the smoked sausage, onion, and green pepper, if using. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, and keep warm.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the skillet. Add flour, stirring constantly, to make a roux.
- In a slow cooker, combine chicken, sausage mixture, roux, celery, okra, tomatoes, and water. Add garlic, bay leaf, Cajun seasoning, salt, thyme, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Discard bay leaf, and serve over rice.