Spicy Skillet Cornbread Recipe
• Oil or butter, for coating skillet
• 3/4 cup cornmeal
• 1 cup flour
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 3 teaspoons baking powder
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup milk
• 1 egg, beaten
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 small onion, finely diced
• 2 hot peppers, finely diced, or to taste
• 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Rub a little oil or butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Place skillet in oven, and preheat oven to 400 F.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; whisk to combine.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the milk, egg and butter. Add to cornmeal mixture, mixing well. Add onion, peppers and cheese, and stir to combine.
4. Remove hot skillet from oven, and carefully pour in batter. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it’s golden.
5. Let cornbread stand at room temperature for 2 to 3 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.
More skillet recipes: