In Southern from Scratch: Pantry Essentials and Down-Home Recipes, Ashley English teaches readers how to build a "from-scratch" Southern pantry with 50 recipes, and offers 100 additional recipes that offer new twists to Southern favorites. This book is full of fundamental recipes and opens up a world of Southern cuisine. The following excerpt is from Chapter 5, "Dry Goods and Sundries."
This recipe makes more than you'll need for dipping into a batch, but will keep for some time, and can also make a lovely spread for deli meat sandwiches or even burgers.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Sweet Pickle Relish
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Several dashes of hot sauce
- Whisk the mayonnaise, relish, horseradish, mustard, lemon juice, and hot sauce in a small bowl until fully combined. Store in a lidded container in the refrigerator until serving time and use within 2 to 3 weeks.
More from Southern from Scratch:
From Southern from Scratch, by Ashley English, © 2018 by Ashley English. Photographs by Johnny Autry, © 2018 by Johnny Autry. Reprinted by arrangement with Roost Books, an imprint of Shambhala Publications, Inc. Boulder, CO. www.roostbooks.com.