Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- 1 medium head green cabbage
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 cup cooked white or brown rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups unseasoned tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- The day before you plan to make this dish, use a long, sharp knife to cut 2 to 3 inches into the cabbage in a circle, about 1/4 inch out from the core. Lift out the core, which should leave a hole about 2 inches wide and 2-1/2 inches deep. Freeze the cabbage overnight.
- The next day, defrost the cabbage at room temperature or in a microwave at 50 percent power. Separate the head into individual leaves, and wash in cold water. With a sharp knife, trim off the tough outer spines and discard them. Set the leaves aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ground meat, rice, half the onion, eggs, garlic, salt, and pepper, and mix well with your hands. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomato sauce, remaining onion, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and ginger. Season with additional salt and pepper as desired. Taste, and add more apple cider vinegar as needed for a sweet-sour sauce. Set sauce aside.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of the meat mixture onto a cabbage leaf. Fold in the sides, and roll up to form a neat parcel. Transfer to a plate or baking sheet. Repeat rolling process until filling is gone. You should have enough filling to make 10 rolls.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Chop remaining cabbage and place in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Cover with half the sauce. Arrange cabbage rolls on top, and pour remaining sauce over the rolls.
- Cover with foil, and bake for about 1 hour. Note: I recommend using artisanal apple cider vinegar in the sauce, which is less sharp-tasting than supermarket apple cider vinegar.
More from Recipes from the Root Cellar:
- Bacon-Sauteed Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- Potato Knishes Recipe
- Vegetarian Egg Rolls Recipe
- Pumpkin Waffles Recipe
- Vegetable Recipes from the Root Cellar
Reprinted with permission from Recipes from the Root Cellar by Andrea Chesman, published by Storey Publishing.