Chunky Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho with Lemon Crème Fraîche
For the crème fraîche
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
For the gazpacho
- 3 pounds varied heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 2 Kirby cucumbers, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Sea salt (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- 1 lemon
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- To make the crème fraîche, combine the sour cream and the heavy cream in a small container with a lid and stir to mix. Let sit in a warm place, like on top of your stove, overnight. You’ll have some leftover crème fraîche; it will keep in the refrigerator for a week or so.
- To make the gazpacho, combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, and garlic in a large bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil, red wine vinegar, and Worcestershire. If you like a chunky style, stir gently to combine.If you prefer a smoother version, pulse the mixture in a food processor or blender, being careful not to blend too much, so that you preserve the individual colors of the tomatoes. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Allow to sit for at least 1 hour before serving. It will keep very well in your refrigerator and gets more delicious as it sits.
- To serve, spoon the gazpacho into individual bowls. Drizzle some crème fraîche on top, then add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a couple of leaves of cilantro.
More from The Fresh Honey Cookbook:
- • Coconut Macaroons with Dried Cherries• Broiled Peaches• Creamy Chicken and Coconut Curry• Southern-Style Iced Tea• Fresh-From-The-Garden Beets with Oranges and Blue Cheese • Switchel
Excerpted from The Fresh Honey Cookbook, © by Laurey Masterton, photography by © Johnny Autry, used with permission from Storey Publishing. Buy this book from our store: The Fresh Honey Cookbook