Spiced Fresh Tomato Bread Pudding Recipe
1 / 2
Spiced Fresh Tomato Bread Pudding is a sweet taste of summer.
Photo by GettyImages/valentinrussanov
2 / 2
6 (1-cup) servings
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (about 4 lbs.)
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups peasant OR Italian bread (with crusts), cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8-by-8-by-2-inch pan with 1 tablespoon butter.
- In a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, 1 cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt and remaining butter.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in vanilla extract. Add bread cubes; stir until bread is well-coated.
- In a small bowl, stir 1/2 cup hot bread mixture into egg. Gradually stir egg-coated bread into remaining bread mixture.
- Spoon into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with sweetened whipped cream, if desired. This recipe originally aired in the August 2006 issue of Heart of the Home:
More from this issue:
- Fresh Tomato Gratin Recipe
- Fresh Tomato Tart Recipe
- Salmon Tomato Pizza Recipe
- Spiced Fresh Tomato Bread Pudding Recipe
More Tomatoes, Tomatoes, Tomatoes: