This simple, meatless soup will warm and spice up your winter with mexican spice, and crunchy tortilla chips.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 quart home-canned chicken broth or 2 cans (14 ounces each)
- 1 quart home-canned stewed tomatoes or 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each), chopped to desired coarseness
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 8 ounces provolone or other cheese, shredded, optional
- Sour cream and hot peppers, optional
- Tortilla chips
- In a large saucepan, cook garlic in butter for 2 minutes. Add cumin, and cook for another minute. Add broth and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in cilantro.
- Top individual bowls with shredded cheese, sour cream, and sliced hot peppers, if desired, and serve with tortilla chips.