Vegetarian Egg Rolls Recipe
- 1 medium head green cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon peanut or sunflower oil
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced, stems removed and discarded
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- Canola or other vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 egg white
- 1 package (1 pound) egg roll wrappers
- Hot mustard and Thai sweet chili sauce or Chinese plum sauce, for dipping
- Combine cabbage and salt in a large bowl, and mix well. Set aside until cabbage is limp and wilted, at least 30 minutes. Rinse under cold running water, and drain well. (The cabbage should taste a little salty. If it's too salty, rinse again.) Return to bowl.
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Add the sesame and peanut oils, and heat until shimmering. Add mushrooms and soy sauce, and stir-fry until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, carrot, bean sprouts, scallions, garlic, and ginger to the cabbage, and mix well. Set aside.
- Pour 2 to 3 inches of canola oil into a wok, tall saucepan, or deep-fat fryer, and heat over medium heat.
- Place the egg white in a bowl, and set aside.
- Dust a work surface and a baking sheet with cornstarch.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on the prepared work surface, with 1 corner pointing toward you. Mound 2 heaping tablespoons of filling in the center of the wrapper. Bring the corner of the wrapper closest to you up over the filling, and tuck it under the filling, making a log shape. Bring in the 2 side corners. Apply egg white with your fingers or a pastry brush to the last corner of the wrapper, and finish rolling up the egg roll, sealing it closed. Transfer the egg roll, seam-side down, to the prepared baking sheet. Continue filling and rolling until all the filling is used. If an egg roll wrapper rips, roll it in a second wrapper.
- When all the egg rolls are made, use a deep-frying thermometer to test whether the oil is at 365 degrees Fahrenheit. Or, drop a cube of bread into the oil, and if the oil bubbles around the bread and the cube browns uniformly in 60 seconds, the oil is at the right temperature.
- Add 3 egg rolls to the hot oil, and fry for 3 minutes, or until golden. Remove and let drain on a wire rack, turning them frequently. Continue frying in batches of 3 until all the egg rolls are fried.
- Serve hot with dipping sauces.
More from Recipes from the Root Cellar:
- Bacon-Sauteed Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- Potato Knishes Recipe
- Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- Pumpkin Waffles Recipe
- Vegetable Recipes from the Root Cellar
Reprinted with permission from Recipes from the Root Cellar by Andrea Chesman, published by Storey Publishing.