Venison Stew Recipe
• 1⁄2 cup butter
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 1 green or red bell pepper, chopped, optional
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
• 1 cup flour
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 4 pounds venison, cut into pieces
• 2 carrots, sliced
• 2 potatoes, diced
• 1 pint stewed tomatoes, or 1 can (15 ounces), drained and crushed
• 4 cups beef broth
• Fresh herbs, optional
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and bell pepper, and sauté until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
2. Add mushrooms to skillet, and sauté. Remove and set aside.
3 In a mixing bowl, combine flour with salt and pepper, and mix well.
4. Dredge venison in flour mixture. Add to skillet, and brown on all sides.
5. In a slow cooker, combine venison, sautéed vegetables, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes and broth.
6. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Serve garnished with fresh herbs, if desired.
Want more quick ideas for mealtime? Check out 20 Easy Slow Cooker Recipes to find more editor-recommended recipes for every meal.