Venison Stew Recipe
1 / 2
If you're a fan of deer meat and vegetables, you'll love this Venison Stew.
Photo by Dani Vincek
2 / 2
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 green or red bell pepper, chopped, optional
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 pounds venison, cut into pieces
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 pint stewed tomatoes, or 1 can (15 ounces), drained and crushed
- 4 cups beef broth
- Fresh herbs, optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and bell pepper, and sauté until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add mushrooms to skillet, and sauté. Remove and set aside.3 In a mixing bowl, combine flour with salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Dredge venison in flour mixture. Add to skillet, and brown on all sides.
- In a slow cooker, combine venison, sautéed vegetables, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes and broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Serve garnished with fresh herbs, if desired.Want more quick ideas for mealtime? Check out 20 Easy Slow Cooker Recipes to find more editor-recommended recipes for every meal.