Chunky Leek and Potato Soup Recipe
Yields 8 to 10 servings
- 3 to 4 pounds leeks
- 4 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme
- 1 pound white potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pint half-and-half or heavy cream
- While your charcoal heats (see “Cooking Beyond the Kitchen”), cut off the dark tops and root ends from the leeks, and slice leeks lengthwise. Put the slices in a pot of cool water, and separate the layers enough to be sure there’s no dirt between them. Pat dry, and slice the leeks and dark tops into thin ribbons.When the charcoal is ready, arrange all the coals evenly beneath a 12-inch Dutch oven.
- Add pancetta to the Dutch oven and fry until crisp. Add butter, leeks, and onion, and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, or until leeks are softened.
- Add the chicken stock, chives, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and thyme. Bring mixture to a slow simmer, adding new hot coals beneath the Dutch oven as needed.
- Add potatoes, and simmer for another 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir in half-and-half, and return to a simmer. Remove Dutch oven from the coals. Discard the bay leaves, and serve warm.NOTE: For a thicker soup, before adding the half-and-half, remove some of the potatoes from the pot and mash them, then return them to the soup.
Reprinted with permission from www.TexasIronChef.com where NDOG host and participant Leslie Lovett shares Dutch oven knowledge alongside delicious recipes.For more delicious Dutch oven recipes, see:
- Cooking Beyond the Kitchen
- Autumn Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Cola Brisket Recipe
- Dutch Oven Pizza Recipe
- Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Drizzle Recipe