Frustrations of a First-Time Milker

| 6/18/2014 8:45:00 AM

Amy ConleyThis has been our busiest spring since we added new animals to our farm. I haven’t been able to write as much as I would like. I hope you enjoy my story about hand milking experience.

Ginger, our goat, gave birth to her baby in April. I was thinking that she would have twins but being her first time she only had one baby. I thought that I would have a good 10 weeks before I would start milking, which would put us after baseball season and school would be getting out. So of course, my perfect plan was not so perfect. A few days into nursing she got really hard and red on one side. I was thinking mastitis so without a milking stand I was attempting to milk her kneeling next to her in the barn stall. My dad had just started working on the milking stand since I figured I didn’t need it yet. My husband had to hold her while I attempted to milk her into a mason jar because I had no supplies. This lasted for about four days and then she finally started feeling back to normal and her baby was nursing on both sides again. That experience left her very lopsided but she still produces milk on both sides.

Milking Ginger

When I started researching what I would need to milk properly, I came across a site that said they start milking in the morning when the baby reaches 2 weeks old and then the remainder of the day the baby nurses; that way both baby and us can have milk. This sounded like a good plan so I just needed to wait for my milking stand. I really didn’t buy any supplies for milking. I use a homemade teat dip and cleaner and use one of my stainless steel bowls. I figured why spend money on supplies if I am not sure I am going to be successful. We had gotten some electric fencing so we have more than one pasture, which makes it easy to separate the mom and baby at night.

Ginger in Milking Stand

Those first couple of mornings were a nightmare. I am not really what you call a morning person so getting up early and going right out to deal with my ornery animal was not a good combination. I had to be sure I was done with all the animal chores and in the house by 7 a.m. to make sure the boys got ready for school and I could make their lunches. That first morning I tried to do the two-hand method of milking and it was going everywhere but in the bowl. Once I started getting some into the bowl, she kicked the bowl and what I could save was all dirty. Luckily, we had just gotten a pig and I gave him the milk. This happened the first few days and I was getting very frustrated but the pig was loving it. I had to get a goat hobble, which I read about in my research.

Subscribe today

Capper's FarmerWant to rediscover what made grandma’s house the fun place we all remember? Capper’s Farmer — the newly restored publication from the rural know-how experts at — updates the tried-and-true methods your grandparents used for cooking, crafting, gardening and so much more. Subscribe today and discover the joys of homemade living and homesteading insight — with a dash of modern living — that makes up the new Capper’s Farmer.

Save Even More Money with our automatic renewal savings plan!

Pay now with a credit card and take advantage of our automatic renewal savings plan. You save an additional $6 and get 4 issues of Capper's Farmer for only $16.95 (USA only).

Or, Bill Me Later and I'll pay just $22.95 for a one year subscription!

Facebook Pinterest Instagram YouTube Twitter

Free Product Information Classifieds