"Should we feed chickens eggshells?" has been asked and debated for a very long time. Some say yes and others say that if you do feed them eggshells they will start breaking their own eggs.
Ever since I was a child we have been saving and preparing eggshells for our chickens. Especially during the winter when they are resting. We have never had a problem with our chickens breaking eggs.
1. All chickens need extra calcium in their diet at times. This ensures a strong eggshells and stops the hens from breaking their eggs look for the calcium they need.
2. Break down the eggshells into quarter size pieces. This is easy to do with your hands. Wear gloves so you don't get small cuts on your hands.
3. Have your friends save their eggshells for you to use. It doesn't matter if the eggs are store bought or from the farm.
4. Sprinkle the eggshells around your coop and chicken yard. They will love scratching and finding the shells.
Preparing Eggshells to be Used
- Throw them in your sink and rinse them under water.
- Spread the eggshells out on a sheet pan and let them dry.
- You can place them in the oven during the winter month for 20 minutes on low heat.
- When the eggshells are dry and brittle crush them with your hands.
- Sprinkle them around the chicken coop and chicken yard.
Photos Courtesy of Getty Images