Last summer we only grew about 200 pounds of squash and pumpkins. I say "only," because the year before we hit 290 pounds! For the last five years, we've been in the 150+ pounds range for this crop.
We've tried every storage method you can think of. We tried putting them up as is. We tried washing off the dirt or leaving the dirt. This year, we used a solution that really seems to work. I washed every squash and pumpkin in a dilute solution of bleach and water. About a cup of bleach for 2 gallons of water.
I carefully wiped off the dirt from all of the squashes and pumpkins and submerged them in the bleach solution. I wiped them down with a cloth, and then dried each one before putting them in our storage cellar.
So far, it seems to be working. Usually by mid-December my crop is getting rotten spots and going fast. This year, though, I'm doing great. This is what we have left:
I did find a rotten butternut today. It had been chewed by a rodent but had healed. The rotten portion was toward the wall, and I just never saw it!
Pumpkins are not great for storage, so to have two that are hard and perfect over two months after the harvest is terrific!
We enjoyed pumpkin waffles (made with butternut squash!) by the fireplace this morning at breakfast. Not a bad way to enjoy the fruits of our labor!
Whether you want to learn how to grow and raise your own food, build your own root cellar, or create a green dream home, come out and learn everything you need to know — and then some!LEARN MORE