Knit A Handmade Rain Dance Shawl
Approz size: 27 x75’ (69 x 191cm)
Gauge: 8 sts x 10 rows + 4” (10cm)
The open stitching on the bottom of this piece allows whatever color you’re wearing underneath to complement the beautiful colors of the yarn. Pick an eye-catching toggle or button to use as a clasp.
- Knitting Loom: 6 Zippy Looms + 4 Zippy Corners, 28 pegs total
- Yarn: Approx 180 yds (165m) super-bulky weight acrylic blend yarn. (Sample uses Malabrigo Rasta in Solis.)
- Notions: Knitting tool, tapestry needle, toggle, crochet hook, scissors.
Special Stitches You’ll Need
Central Double Decrease (CDD)
This is a central double decrease on a loom. Over 3 pegs—move loop from peg 1 to peg 2. Take yarn behind peg 1 and 2, and knit peg
3. Move loop from peg 3 to peg 2. Lift bottommost 2 loops off peg 2.
Knit 2 Stitches Together (K2TOG)
Knit 2 sts together, with
a right slanting decrease.
Knit 2 Stitches Together (SSK)
Knit 2 sts together, with a left slanting decrease.
Little Arrow Stitch Pattern
The stitch pattern is over 6 pegs; the last stitch is to balance the stitch pattern. To facilitate in knitting the pattern, mark every 6 pegs on the loom (pegs 1–6, 7–12, 13–20, 21–26); the very last peg is the +1 from the stitch pattern.
- Assemble 6 Zippy Looms + 4 Zippy Corners (28 pegs total). CO 27 sts; prepare to work a flat panel.
- Row 1, 3: K.
- Row 2, 4: P.
- Next 16 rows: Work rows 1–4 of Little Arrow Stitch Pattern 4 times (total of 16 rows).
- Next row: K to end.
- Next row: P to end.
- Rep last 2 rows 21 more times (or until panel measures approx 22” [56cm] from cast-on edge).
- Next row: K to end.
- Next row: P2tog, p to end.
- Rep last 2 rows until 8 sts rem on the loom.
- Bind off with Basic Bind Off method (page 17).
- Weave ends in (page 19). Steam block lightly (page 9).
- Optional: Add a decorative button to secure the shawl, or use a shawl pin.
Stitch Pattern Breakdown:
- Row 1: *K1, yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo; rep from * to last st, k1.
- Remove loop from peg 3 and hold it.
- Move loop from peg 2 to peg 3.
- Place loop from step 1 on peg 3. 2 loops are on peg 3.
- Remove loop from peg 5 and hold it.
- Move loop from peg 6 to peg 5.
- Place loop from step 5 on peg 5. 2 loops are on peg 5. Peg 2 and peg 6 are empty.
- K peg 1, yo on peg 2, k peg 3 (treat both loops as one), k peg 4, k peg 5 (treat both loops as one), yo peg 6, k peg 7; rep instructions from the *.
- Row 2: K to end.
- Row 3: *K2, yo, cdd, yo, k1; rep from * to last st, k1.
- Move loop from peg 3 to peg 4.
- K peg 1 and peg 2. YO on peg 3. Skip peg 4 with yarn behind peg, k peg 5. Move loop from peg 5 to peg 4. Lift bottommost 2 loops off peg 2 (knitting off). YO on peg 5; k peg 6.
- Row 4: K to end. Rep rows 1–4.
More from Zippy Loom Creations:
Reprinted with permission from Zippy Loom Creations: 20 Quick & Easy Knitting Projects (Spring House Press, 2018) by Authentic Knitting Board. The guide features 20 patterns for readers of all skill levels to knit hats, scarves, blankets, shawls and more that are perfect for the fall and winter. Readers learn to knit with Zippy Looms, Zippy Corners, and Zippy Connectors that lead to an endless possibility of projects for knitters of all experience levels.