If you're looking for winter craft ideas, try this DIY home décor project using recycled socks.
Two decorative snowmen made out of socks.
Recently, while my sister and I were making plans for our family's Christmas gathering, we were trying to come up with something fun, festive, simple, and inexpensive we could make to decorate the tables.
Then I remembered the project for these little snowmen, which I'd seen many times on the internet, all with different variations. I'd always wanted to make some, but had never got around to it.
We decided to give them a try, and I'm glad we did. They were so simple to make, we ended up making way more than we actually needed – and they all turned out beautifully.
• Adult socks, crew length or knee-high
• Rubber bands
• Scarf – either a strip of fabric or a crocheted chain of yarn
• Colored ball-head stick pins
• Fabric glue or glue gun
• Colored pompoms or small crocheted balls of yarn
1. Cut off the toe portion of the sock at the heel, and set it aside. Turn the top portion inside out, and wrap a rubber band around the cut side, making it tight, so it doesn't come off. Turn the sock right-side out.
2. Fill the sock almost full with rice, packing it firmly, until it's plump and round, and sits level. Wrap another rubber band snugly around the top of the sock. Place another rubber band about a quarter of the way down from the top rubber band to form the snowman's head.
3. Tie a scarf around the snowman's neck. Use colored ball-head stick pins for the eyes and nose, and attach buttons down the front of the body, using either fabric glue or a hot glue gun.
4. Cut the toe portion of the sock to create a stocking cap. Glue or hand-stitch a pompom or a small crocheted ball onto the top of the stocking cap. Place the stocking cap on the snowman's head.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE