Add caramelized pecans to your standard pumpkin pie recipe and you have an amazing new recipe to try with your family.
• 2 cups canned pumpkin
• 2 eggs, slightly beaten
• 1/4 cup half-and-half
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 tablespoon flour
• 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon cloves
• 1/4 teaspoon allspice
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
• Pastry dough for single-crust pie
• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 1 cup pecan halves
• Pistachio nutmeats, optional
1. Preheat oven to 450 F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin, eggs and half-and-half.
3. In another bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and salt. Add to pumpkin mixture, and stir to combine. Blend in vanilla.
4. Place pastry in 9-inch pie shell, and trim and crimp edges.
5. Pour filling mixture into pie shell, and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 F, and continue baking for an additional 30 to 35 minutes, or until filling is set.
6. While pie is baking, blend butter with brown sugar until mixture is crumbly. Mix in pecan halves and a few pistachio nutmeats, if desired.
7. Remove pie from oven, and sprinkle nut mixture over the top.
8. Place pie about 5 inches below broiler for 3 to 5 minutes, or until caramelized. Serve warm or cold.
Don't over complicate the dishes at your Thanksgiving holiday this year. Use this and other recipes featured in our Thanksgiving Dinner Menu to simplify your main dish and sides.