Photo Courtesy of Workman Publishing
Three s’mores in this book are inspired by salads — of all things — and this is one of them. I wasn’t expecting to love this s’more as much as I did, but wow. The blue cheese goes so well with the crunchy pecans and the sweet, ripe peaches. The fruit should be so ripe that it melts in your mouth — playing the role that chocolate might play in other s’mores. You can store any leftover candied pecans in an airtight container at room temperature for a month or so. Makes 12.
Takes 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 large egg white
- 1 pound (about 4 cups) pecan halves
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 12 regular marshmallows
- 12 whole graham crackers, broken in half to form 24 squares
- 2 very ripe peaches, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat the oven to 250°F, with a rack in the middle position. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- Using a handheld electric mixer, beat the egg white in a medium bowl until frothy, 1 minute. Add the pecan halves to the egg white and stir to combine. Add the sugar, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes. Mix well to coat the pecans. Pour the pecan mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes, until the mixture is crunchy. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Using oven mitts, place a rack in the upper third of the oven and turn the broiler to its highest setting. Preheat for 5 to 10 minutes. Spray a second baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place the marshmallows on the prepared baking sheet. Broil the marshmallows until they’re golden brown on top, about 3 minutes. Keep a close eye on them, or place 12 crackers on a serving dish. Top each with 1 slice of tomato. Place 1 toasted mozzarella ball on each s’more and drizzle with about 2 teaspoons of the basil oil. Top with the remaining crackers. Serve immediately.
- Place 12 graham cracker squares on a serving dish. If you want crumbles to rival the blue cheese in size, roughly chop the pecans before you add them. Otherwise, top each with about 5 candied pecans (or the equivalent chopped). Top the pecans with 3 peach slices.
- Place 1 toasted marshmallow on each s’more. Top each marshmallow with 1 tablespoon of blue cheese. Place the remaining graham cracker squares on top. Serve immediately.
More from S'mores! Gooey, Melty, Crunchy Riffs on the Campfire Classic:
Cover Courtesy of Workman Publishing
Reprinted with permission from S'mores! Gooey, Melty, Crunchy Riffs on the Campfire Classic by Dan Whalen and published by Workman Publishing Company.