DIY Picnic Tablecloth
DIY Picnic Tablecloth
Looking for simple sewing projects? Try this do-it-yourself tablecloth made with bandanas.
By Amanda Barnwell
This project, which is guaranteed to add a colorful touch to your summer gatherings, takes about an hour to complete. The finished tablecloth will cover a picnic table, or a large kitchen or dining room table, with plenty of overhang on all sides. Using a sewing machine makes things go quicker, but if you don’t have a sewing machine, or you simply prefer to sew by hand, that works too. You’ll want to allow a little more time if you’re sewing by hand, though.
• 12 bandanas
• Stick pins
• Sewing machine or needle and thread
1. Iron all of your bandanas, and then lay them out on the floor. Arrange them in the pattern in which you want to sew them.
2. The easiest way to start is to sew three bandanas together to form a row, and then repeat to make a total of four rows. To do this, take your first three bandanas, and pin the outer bandanas to the middle bandana, right sides together – finished sides facing.
When you’re done, you’ll have a tri-fold. Now sew down the pinned sides with a ¼-inch seam allowance.
Make sure to secure or back over the ends so they stay in place. Your first row is now finished, so set it aside. Repeat the process of pinning and sewing the remaining bandanas to form your other three rows.
3. Press the seams of one row open, and iron them flat. Repeat the ironing process with the seams in the other three rows.
4. Now you’ll sew the rows together. Take your first two rows and pin them together, right sides facing, and sew them with a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Again, make sure to secure or back over your ends. Grab the next row, and pin and sew it down. Repeat the pinning and sewing process with the last row. Trim threads.
5. Iron the finished tablecloth, and then throw it on your table. Add some festive decorations, and voilà, you’re ready for your guests!
How to Make a Christmas Wreath
Make a Christmas wreath with materials from your own backyard.
WOW! Christmas Already
How to take the stress out of gift giving.
Custom Jewelry Box
Make the ladies in your life a custom jewelry box for holding rings, complete with the recipient’s name for a personalized gift sure to be treasured.