Medicare Advantage or Medicare Plus
Choosing between medicare advantage and original medicare plus a medicare supplement
When it comes to deciding between a Medicare Advantage plan and original Medicare plus a Medicare Supplement policy, there are three major factors to consider:
- COST: Medicare Supplement policies usually require a higher monthly premium, but could result in lower out-of-pocket expenses than some Medicare Advantage plans. However, Medicare Advantage plans may cost less but cover more services, which might be a better option for your monthly budget.
- CHOICE: With a Medicare Advantage plan, your choice of medical providers is limited to those within the HMO or PPO. The plan also may not cover services provided outside of the network. Original Medicare and Medicare Supplement policies cover any medical provider who accepts Medicare for payment. No matter which plan you choose, it’s a good idea to check with specialists or hospitals to ensure they accept Medicare before receiving services.
- LIFESTYLE: Medicare Advantage plans are limited to certain states or regions. Medicare Supplement policies, on the other hand, are portable and provide coverage across all 50 states, and some plans include coverage outside of the country. If you’re a snowbird living in more than one state throughout the year or you travel extensively, you’ll probably benefit from choosing original Medicare plus a Medicare Supplement policy.
MEDICARE SUPPLEMENT PLAN MEDICARE ADVANTAGE PLAN
Monthly Premium HIGHER $0 OR LOW
- Includes Part D and Dental/Vision NO USUALLY
- Copayments to providers NO YES
- Up to $10,000 in out-of-pocket costs NO YES
- Restrictive network of doctors and hospitals NO YES
- Allows appeal of coverage decisions to Medicare YES NO
- Your doctor can be dropped by plan NO YES
- Your plan can be canceled NO YES
- Health plan decides which procedures and tests are approved NO YES
- Allows one to travel the country and use any doctor and hospital YES NO
Contact Capper’s Insurance Service by calling 1-800-678-7741 or by visiting our website at CappersInsurance.
Get a better understanding of Medicare to guide you to make the right decision for you; contact your Capper’s Insurance agent today!
Medicare Terms to Know
Learn more about Medicare terms to guide you to make the right decision for you; contact your Capper’s Insurance agent today!
More on Medicare
Learn more about your options for next year’s coverage by contacting your Capper’s Insurance agent!