I often joke that my two terriers never miss a meal. Well, truth be told, they never miss a treat either.
I’m a person that when I go to buy treats for myself, I look at the ingredients and sometimes scratch my head trying to pronounce some of them. Then I wonder, “Am I going to have this same problem when I buy treats for Jake and Buddy”
Then, horror struck. Their favorite treat, pig ears, were taken off the shelves at Wal-Mart because of salmonella. So now what?
Well, I now going through my little storage spot at home to find my dog treat recipes. I now make my own dog treats. Outside of not having a dehydrator at home to make jerky for them, the treats that I have baked in the oven have been a big hit.
Photo by Artem Beliaikin on Unsplash
Homemade Liver and Oat Dog Biscuits
- 1-1/4 c oats
- 1/4 c wheat germ
- 1/4 c non-fat dry milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c safflower oil
- 1/2 c pureed beef or chicken liver
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine oats, wheat germ and non-fat dry milk with egg, safflower oil and pureed beef or chicken liver.
3. Mix well until the consistency of cookie dough. At this point, take a teaspoon and drop batter one inch apart onto a baking sheet. (Make sure the baking sheet is covered with non-stick foil or greased if you prefer.)
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cookies feel firm when you touch them.
5. Once they are cooled, store them in an airtight container, in the refrigerator.
Honestly, I don’t know how long these will keep in the refrigerator. Of course, I’ve got two dogs so the cookies are gone in a few days. Hope your dogs love them as much as mine do!