Apple Fritters Recipe
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup finely chopped or grated unpeeled, cored apple
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- Lard, for frying
- Sifted powdered sugar
- In a mixing bowl, combine egg, milk, apple, sugar, salt, orange peel, juice and vanilla.
- In another bowl, stir together flour and baking soda; fold into egg mixture, stirring just until all flour is moistened.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoons into hot (350°) lard and fry until deep golden-brown, about 3 to 6 minutes, turning once.
- Drain fritters thoroughly on a paper towel. Sprinkle powdered sugar over the tops, or drizzle with powdered sugar icing. Yields about 40 fritters.