Beef Pot Pie Recipe
Yields 6 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 large potato, peeled, cooked, and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups prepared beef gravy
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Prepared dough for biscuits
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Coat a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef in oil until no longer pink. Drain, and return to skillet. Stir in peas and carrots, potato, onion, gravy, thyme, and pepper. Mix gently but thoroughly. Spoon into prepared pie plate.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roll dough out, and cut about 15 rounds with a biscuit cutter.
- Arrange dough rounds over beef mixture, with sides touching, and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown and cooked through.
- Serving Suggestion: This dish is a meal in itself, but you can’t go wrong by pairing it with a delicious dessert, such as brownies topped with ice cream.
Photo by Getty Images/chas53
For more supper idea recipes, see Simple Ideas for Supper.
Traci Smith is a Capper’s Farmer editor. With access to thousands of archived recipes from the magazine, she’s always trying something new.