Home canning is a great way to preserve your favorite fruit, whether it’s from the farmers’ market or your own backyard. Just about any fruit can be canned.
Here are some tips to help you make your canning experience successful:
* Choose fresh, ripe, firm fruits. Underripe apples, for example, will make hard, sour slices, while overripe apples will be mushy and bland.
* To ensure even cooking, sort fruits for size and ripeness. If slicing fruits, slice evenly.
* Rinse and clean fruit thoroughly, as dirt can harbor bacteria.
* To remove the skin from peaches, dip them in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds. Remove them with a slotted spoon and immediately dip them into cold water. Slip off the skins.
* To keep apple slices from browning, put them into water containing ascorbic acid until you’re ready to use them.
Get more canning tips and recipes, as well as Mrs. Wages Home Canning Guide, at www.mrswages.com.