Sweet and Savory Bruschetta
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup diced sweet pineapple
4 ripe strawberries, stemmed and diced
1/4 cup julienned fresh basil leaves (about 4 large leaves)
1/4 cup julienned fresh mint leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
8 farm-fresh sausage patties (12 ounces)
1 thin baguette, sliced
1/3 cup olive oil
8 slices fresh mozzarella, cut in half
- Make bruschetta topping by mixing tomatoes, pineapple, strawberries, basil, mint and maple syrup together. Cover and set aside.
- Divide each of the 8 sausage patties in two and pinch edges to shape into smaller patties. Cook according to package directions. Set aside, covered, to keep warm.
- Place oven rack in top-third section of oven and set oven to broil.
- Slice baguette into 16 slices (about 1/2-inch thick). Brush one side with olive oil. Place oiled side down on cookie sheet and broil for 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden. Watch carefully as they can burn in seconds. Flip slices over and top each with 1 slice mozzarella. Broil 1 minute longer, or until cheese is melted and edges of baguette slices are beginning to look toasted.
- Transfer to serving platter. Top each with 1 sausage patty and spoon on bruschetta topping, allowing some to spill over. Serve immediately.
Yields 6 to 8 servings.