9 servings SERVINGS
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups cold water
- Prepared chocolate frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease and flour 2 9-inch round cake pans; set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; whisk to combine. Add mayonnaise, vanilla, and water, and beat until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 15 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks and allow to cool completely.
- Spread frosting between the layers, and on the top and sides of cake. NOTE: For a decorative design on the top and sides of the cake, use a piping bag and decorating tip.