Cinnamon Rolls with Orange “Kist” Icing Recipe
Yields 12 rolls
For the dough:
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 1/3 cup very soft unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons instant (SAF) yeast or bread machine yeast
- 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
For the filling:
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
For the icing:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- Combine all dough ingredients in the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer. Mix until a soft dough forms. To knead by machine, change mixing paddle to the dough hook and knead for 4 to 7 minutes, or knead by hand 5 to 8 minutes. Dough should be soft but not sticky. To make dough in a bread machine, add dough ingredients per bread maker’s instructions. Run on “Dough” cycle and let rise in the machine.
- Place about 1 teaspoon of oil in the bottom of a large bowl. Add dough, coat bottom of dough with oil, then turn oil-side up and cover with a greased sheet of plastic wrap.
- Set in a warm, draft-free place to rise until doubled, about 1-1/2 to 2 hours, depending on conditions. Once risen, punch down dough. Lightly oil your work surface. Turn out dough onto prepared work surface and roll into a rectangle 12x16 inches, then spread the butter evenly across the top of the dough.
- Mix the cinnamon, brown sugar, and orange zest in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly across buttered surface, then roll up tightly starting from narrow end. Seal seam. Cut into 12 slices, 1-inch thick. Place in prepared baking pan 3 slices across short end, 4 slices down long end.
- Cover with greased plastic wrap and set in a warm, draft-free place to rise until doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until rolls are golden brown on the top.
- While rolls are baking, prepare icing by placing cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl. Beat the butter and cream cheese well, then add the confectioner’s sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating until smooth. Add the orange extract and beat until well blended.
- Ice rolls while still very warm. Serve warm or cooled.
More from The Cupboard to Table Cookbook:
- • Raspberry Butter Crumb Cake Recipe• Italian Herb Chicken with Roasted Vegetables Recipe• Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf Recipe
Reprinted with permission from The Cupboard to Table Cookbook: Satisfying Meals Made from What You Have on Hand by Judy Hannemann, published by The Countryman Press, an imprint of W.W. Norton & Company, Inc. 2016. Buy this book from our store: The Cupboard to Table Cookbook.