Herb-Roasted Chicken with Vegetables Recipe
1 / 2
Combining herbs, chicken and vegetables together creates a simple and delicious meal the whole family can enjoy!
Photo by Johnny Autry
2 / 2
"101 One-Dish Dinners" by Andrea Chesman does exactly what the title says - shows the reader how to make 101 meals using only one dish.
Cover courtesy Storey Publishing
1 hr 30 min
- 1 whole chicken, 3-1/2–5 pounds, giblets and neck removed
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (1–1-1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (chervil, lovage, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, sage, savory, thyme, alone or in any combination)
- 3 teaspoons coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 red bliss or new potatoes, cut into eighths
- 3 carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 3 golden or red beets, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 rutabaga, peeled, halved, and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 6 shallots, halved
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Rinse the chicken under cold running water and pat dry. Set on a large roasting pan on a rack. (The pan must be large enough to hold the vegetables in a single layer surrounding the chicken.)
3. Combine 3 tablespoons of the oil, the lemon juice, parsley, chopped fresh herbs, 2 teaspoons of the salt, and pepper, to taste in a large bowl. Mix well. Rub the mixture onto the chicken and inside the chicken cavity.
4. Add the potatoes, carrots, beets, rutabaga, shallots, and garlic to the bowl. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Toss gently to coat the vegetables. Arrange the vegetables in a single layer around the chicken.
5. Roast for about 1 hour, until the juices run clear from the chicken and a leg moves easily. Stir the vegetables once or twice during the roasting to promote even roasting.
6. Let the chicken sit for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter. Turn the vegetables in the pan juices. Taste and add salt and pepper, if desired. Spoon the vegetables around the chicken. Serve immediately.