Many households and businesses are currently feeling the tight grip of today’s economic climate. While the financial downturn is leaving many restaurants without customers, it is keeping the home cook busy whipping up recipes that are fiscally friendly. In addition to financial considerations, the growing obesity epidemic is driving the demand for homemade meals to be healthy and nutritious as well.
By cooking at home, you can manage your budget and, more importantly, your health and the health of your family. By carefully choosing nutritious ingredients, you can help reduce the risk for heart disease and obesity while still enjoying satisfying and delicious meals. Making good food choices will benefit you and your family for years to come. The choice is yours. Choose to make healthy meals for you and your family while also keeping expenses in check.
Healthy food choices:
- Choose whole grain, high-fiber foods.
- Limit how much saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol you consume.
- Choose baked foods over fried whenever possible.
- Use fat-free and low-fat dairy products when possible.
- Prepare foods with little or no salt.