Everyone looks for shortcuts in the kitchen especially during the weeknights. I suggest you pick up a package of broccoli slaw or even prepared coleslaw and have it as a staple in your kitchen. It is affordable, the work is done, and it is delicious.
When I'm busy on the farm, I like to have prepared broccoli and or carrot slaw in my fridge. I find that I reach for it all the time to add color, freshness, nutrition and crunch to my dishes.
There are two main ways to use Broccoli Slaw:
Make a Slaw: by that I mean dress and season it, and use it as you would any coleslaw – eat it as is or get creative and use it as a topping or filling.
Use it Raw: by that I mean no dressing – use broccoli slaw as a mixed vegetable to add flavour, color and crunch and, yes, nutrients. You can chop it or process it and use it as a nutritious filler for your meat or fish loaves.
Or try one of these suggestions:
- On top of grilled chicken, pork, beef
- As a “bed” for grilled chicken or seafood
- On top of burgers or hot dogs
- As a garnish for chili
- Use in fish or crab cakes
- On top of a lobster roll
- As a filling in po' boys
- Inside a submarine sandwich
- Inside a fish taco
- Add golden raisins or dried cranberries like Mom used to
- Add to rice or quinoa
- Mix with kale for a nutritious salad
- As a topping for pulled pork
- Inside a tortilla wrap
- Add it to soup
- Add it to or top a bowl of pho
- Inside salad rolls
- On top of any salad
- As a slaw to serve with salsa and tortilla chips
- As part of a stir fry
- Mix it with Asian noodles and dressing
- Chopped, it can be used in a veggie “burger”
- Chopped, it can be used inside meatloaf, burgers or meatballs
- Chopped, use it inside stuffed peppers or cabbage rolls
Read more at my website.