Lemon Shortbread Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, mix together butter, powdered sugar, and lemon juice with an electric mixer until thoroughly blended.
- Sift flour into another large bowl. Add salt, and whisk to combine. Add to butter mixture, and mix until ingredients begin to stick together. Knead until a dough forms and comes together in a ball.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to a little more than 1⁄4 inch thickness. Cut out rounds with a biscuit cutter, and transfer to prepared baking sheet using a pancake turner.
- Bake for 6 minutes. These cookies should be underbaked and not at all browned.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet for 1 minute, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Use a pancake turner to move them, as they’ll be very soft and crumbly. They’ll firm up as they cool.
- NOTE: You can eat these cookies plain, or you can top them with a lemon glaze made by blending 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest, and 1 tablespoon milk.