Quick Cook Ideas: The Versatility of Broccoli Slaw
Everyone looks for shortcuts in the kitchen especially during the weeknights. I suggest you pick up a package of broccoli slaw or even prepared coleslaw and have it as a staple in your kitchen. It is affordable, the work is done, and it is delicious.
When I’m busy on the farm, I like to have prepared broccoli and or carrot slaw in my fridge. I find that I reach for it all the time to add color, freshness, nutrition and crunch to my dishes.
There are two main ways to use Broccoli Slaw:
Make a Slaw: by that I mean dress and season it, and use it as you would any coleslaw – eat it as is or get creative and use it as a topping or filling.
Use it Raw: by that I mean no dressing – use broccoli slaw as a mixed vegetable to add flavour, color and crunch and, yes, nutrients. You can chop it or process it and use it as a nutritious filler for your meat or fish loaves.
Or try one of these suggestions:
- On top of grilled chicken, pork, beef
- As a “bed” for grilled chicken or seafood
- On top of burgers or hot dogs
- As a garnish for chili
- Use in fish or crab cakes
- On top of a lobster roll
- As a filling in po’ boys
- Inside a submarine sandwich
- Inside a fish taco
- Add golden raisins or dried cranberries like Mom used to
- Add to rice or quinoa
- Mix with kale for a nutritious salad
- As a topping for pulled pork
- Inside a tortilla wrap
- Add it to soup
- Add it to or top a bowl of pho
- Inside salad rolls
- On top of any salad
- As a slaw to serve with salsa and tortilla chips
- As part of a stir fry
- Mix it with Asian noodles and dressing
- Chopped, it can be used in a veggie “burger”
- Chopped, it can be used inside meatloaf, burgers or meatballs
- Chopped, use it inside stuffed peppers or cabbage rolls
Read more at my website.
Make Your Own Foods Safe at Home
Follow our recipes to make condiments, bread, rolls, pizza crust, crackers, marshmallows, noodles, and applesauce while staying safe at home.
Memphis Dry Rub Ribs Recipe
Served with barbecue sauce, these tasty, tender ribs, made with a spicy dry rub and basted with a pineapple glaze, will be a new family favorite.
BLT Salad with Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
Creamy blue cheese dressing and hard-boiled eggs add even more flavor to this delicious bacon, lettuce, and tomato salad.