We’re not encouraging anyone to break the law, so we have happily exchanged the home-distilled liquor for some dark rum, which gives the drink a rounder flavor. And it’s completely legal. A refreshing alternative to the pre-dinner cocktail or as complement to the buffet table.
- 2 quarts (2 liters) apple cider
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2/3–3/4 cup (150–200 ml) dark rum (optional)
- 5 cinnamon sticks
- 3 apples, sliced
- In a large pot, heat the apple cider over medium heat. It shouldn’t boil; it only needs to be warmed.
- Add the ground spices and the sugar. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes, so the cider can absorb the spices.
- Stir occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let cool.
- Add the rum and cinnamon sticks.
- Close to serving time, pour into a large bowl together with the ice and apple slices.
Reprinted with Permission from Vintage Parties by Emma Sundh, Linda Hansson, and Louise Lemming and Published by Skyhorse Publishing.