This recipe originally ran in the September 2005 edition of Capper's Farmer.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon or orange zest, optional
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups any combination fresh raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and chopped strawberries, rinsed
- Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, salt, baking soda, 2 tablespoons sugar and lemon zest. Stir together briefly. Using an electric mixer on low speed, add butter; mix until crumbly. Slowly add buttermilk; fold in berries, mixing gently.
- On a well-floured work surface, turn out dough and knead together gently 8 to 10 times, with floured hands. Pat into an 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Using a floured spatula, cut straight down through dough to make 8 wedges. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Transfer wedges to baking sheet, keeping them separate. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until just starting to brown evenly. Remove and cool on wire racks.