The Best Pickled Asparagus Recipe
1 quart jar
For each quart jar, you will need:
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon organic red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon organic dill seeds
- 1 teaspoon organic dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon organic mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon organic black peppercorns
- 10 to 20 spears of fresh and local asparagus, depending on spear size
- Wash and sterilize the mason jars. Line them up on the counter like little ducks in a row.
- Into each jar, put the garlic, red pepper flakes, sea salt, dill seeds, dried oregano, mustard seeds, and black peppercorns.
- Wash the asparagus and cut the bottom of the stem off so that the asparagus fits into the quart jar standing up. Gently stuff each quart jar with as many asparagus spears as it will hold. You should now have quart jars full of spices and asparagus spears, correct? Correct.
- Heat up a vinegar brine of 50 percent filtered water and 50 percent white vinegar to near boiling. The amount you need will vary depending on how many quart jars you are processing.
- Gently pour the hot vinegar brine into each asparagus-filled quart jar, leaving 1/4 inch headspace at the top. Secure a sterilized lid and band onto each quart jar.
- Process the asparagus for 15 minutes in a boiling-water-bath canner. Gently remove and set on the counter to seal.
For more canning tips and recipes:
- Preserve Your Harvest with Canning
- Canned Honey Peaches Recipe
- Roasted Tomato Salsa Recipe
- Vanilla Infused Cherries Recipe
More from Welcome to the Farm:
- Butchering Basics
- Harvesting Honey
- Homemade Beeswax Candles
- Honey Meringues Recipe
- Seed Starting Basics
- The Right Seeds for Your GardenExcerpted with permission from Welcome to the Farm, by Shaye Elliot. Published by Lyons Press, © 2017.