Cherry Mash Candies Recipe
1 / 2
These candies have a creamy pink center, with a nice cherry flavor.
Photo by Linda Smith
2 / 2
About 20 candies
- 1 package (7-1/2 ounces) white frosting mix, such as Jiffy
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar, or more
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 2 to 3 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 package (12 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped dry roasted salted peanuts
- In a large bowl, combine dry frosting mix, confectioners’ sugar, butter, vanilla, butter flavoring, cherries and juice, and sweetened condensed milk. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated. The mixture should be thick. If it isn’t, add a little additional confectioner’s sugar until it is. You want the mixture to hold together well. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove mixture from refrigerator, and roll into bite-size balls. Place balls on cookie sheets lined with waxed paper. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for another 30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening in the top of a double boiler, set over gently boiling water, until melted and smooth. Stir in peanuts.
- Dip chilled balls in melted chocolate, and place back on cookie sheets. Once all the balls have been dipped, use a teaspoon to drizzle the remaining chocolate mixture over the balls, letting it run down the sides. Let stand at room temperature until coating is set, and then refrigerate overnight.
- Store at room temperature in a container with a tight-fitting lid.Make sure to stock up on holiday goodies this year! See Easy Christmas Candy Recipes and Holiday Cookie Recipes for more ideas.