Chicken Parmigiana Freezer Meal
3 freezer meals, 4
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 6 pounds)
- 12 slices mozzarella cheese
- 6 cups prepared basic red sauce
- three 1-quart freezer bags, plastic wrap
- three 1-gallon freezer bags with labels
- wax paper or parchment paper
To package this recipe
- Place flour in a shallow dish, eggs in another shallow dish, and breadcrumbs in a third shallow dish. Set them aside.
- Lay a piece of chicken, smooth side down, on a cutting board, and press down on the thickest part with the palm of your hand to make it thinner.
- Coat it with flour, dip it in egg, and then coat it with breadcrumbs.
- Place it on a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
- When all the chicken pieces are coated, place the baking sheets in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Pour 2 cups red sauce in each 1-quart freezer bag, and seal.
- Divide cheese into portions of 4 slices each. Wrap each portion in plastic wrap.
- Place 4 frozen chicken pieces in each 1-gallon freezer bag, placing a piece of wax paper or parchment paper between each piece.
- Place a bag of sauce and a packet of cheese into each bag of chicken.
Freeze for up to 3 months.
To Cook One Freezer Meal:
- Move one meal into the refrigerator until it completely thaws.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Place chicken pieces in a greased baking dish, and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Pour red sauce evenly over each piece of chicken, and bake for another 10 minutes, or until chicken pieces reach an internal temperature of 165 F.
- Top each piece of chicken with a slice of cheese, and return to the oven until melted.
Kati Neville lives in Oregon, and Lindsay Ahrens lives in Washington. Both are big fans of freezer meals and have written recipes for Costco’s annual cookbooks and articles for Everyday with Rachael Ray. This is excerpted with permission from their book Fix, Freeze, Feast (Storey Publishing).