The Cheddar Burger
Courtesy Char-Broil/Shutterstock.com/Ruslan Mitin
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce (plus 2 tablespoons, optional), divided
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into strips, optional
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips, optional
- 1 tablespoon butter, optional
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 4 slices tomato, optional
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine ground beef and 3 tablespoons steak sauce. Mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Divide mixture into 4 equal portions. Shape each portion into a patty, enclosing a slice of cheese inside. Set aside.
- If using onion and bell pepper strips, place a skillet on a hot grill grate, and melt butter. Add onions and pepper strips, and cook until tender. Stir in remaining steak sauce, and keep mixture warm.
- Add burgers to grill, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until desired doneness is reached, turning only once.
- Place burgers on buns, and top with onions, peppers, and tomato slices, if desired.
This is excerpted with permission from Char-Broil Grilling for the Family (Fox Chapel Publishing).