Tamale Pie Recipe
Yields 6 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey (85 percent lean is ideal; 93 percent lean is too dry)
- 1 can (10 ounces) mild or medium red enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) whole-kernel corn, drained well
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 box (8-1/2 ounces) corn muffin mix, plus ingredients called for on box to make muffin batter
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- In a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, cook ground turkey over medium-high heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Stir in enchilada sauce, green chiles, corn, and chili powder. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese. Set aside.
- Prepare muffin batter according to directions on package. Spoon over mixture in skillet.
- Place skillet in oven, and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until muffin topping is cooked through and golden.
- Cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve with a side salad.
Photo by Getty Images/ALLEKO
For more supper idea recipes, see Simple Ideas for Supper.
Traci Smith is a Capper’s Farmer editor. With access to thousands of archived recipes from the magazine, she’s always trying something new.