Thanksgiving Dressing Recipe
1 / 2
Homemade bread stuffing or dressing will always have a place on the Thanksgiving table, right next to the turkey.
Photo by Brent Hofacker
2 / 2
8 to 10 servings
- 8 cups dry, cubed bread
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced apples, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sage, or to taste
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Hot turkey or chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, celery, onion, and apples and almonds, if using, and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, sage, butter and hot water, and blend to combine. Add to bread mixture, and toss lightly to combine. Add hot broth, a little at a time, tossing to moisten, until mixture reaches desired texture.
- Turn dressing into a large baking dish, and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown on top and moist in the center. If the top browns too quickly, cover loosely with foil. Let stand at room temperature to cool slightly before serving.
Don’t over complicate the dishes at your Thanksgiving holiday this year. Use this and other recipes featured in our Thanksgiving Dinner Menu to simplify your main dish and sides.