Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Drizzle Recipe
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup finely diced crystalized ginger
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- Prepare a 12-inch Dutch oven by spraying a thin layer of oil around the bottom and sides. Cut out a circle of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the Dutch oven, and place it inside.To make cake: In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the crystalized ginger, brown sugar, flour, and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Then remove 1 cup of this mixture, and set aside.
- To remaining flour mixture, add baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Make a well in the center, and pour in the buttermilk-egg mixture. Fold gently, using as few strokes as possible, just until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared Dutch oven, and sprinkle the reserved flour mixture over the top. Cover Dutch oven with lid.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit by placing 9 hot coals in a circle beneath the oven, and 16 hot coals around the lid. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. To make drizzle:In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, lemon extract, and half-and-half. Stir until thoroughly mixed. To serve: Serve drizzle over individual slices of warm cake.
Reprinted with permission from www.TexasIronChef.com, where NDOG host and participant Leslie Lovett shares Dutch oven knowledge alongside delicious recipes. For more delicious Dutch oven recipes, see: Cooking Beyond the Kitchen
- Autumn Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Chunky Leek and Potato Soup Recipe
- Cola Brisket Recipe
- Dutch Oven Pizza Recipe