In This Book Cooks, by Kerry Dunnington, readers will discover creative, classic and irresistible recipes for everyday eating and entertaining. Recipes include useful and inspiring introductory material further enhanced by stories drawn from the author's life experiences in cooking, dining and serving.
This rustic-looking cornbread recipe is easy to prepare, and it complements so many dishes.
Skillet Cornbread with Honey Recipe
• 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cup yellow corn flour
• 3 tablespoons sugar
• 5 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 eggs
• 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
• 2 tablespoons neutral oil
• Honey and butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Generously oil a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking oil.
3. In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, corn flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the buttermilk and oil.
5. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the egg mixture and stir just to combine.
6. Transfer batter to cast-iron skillet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove skillet from oven.
7. Move oven rack to the top rung and switch oven temperature to broil. Brown the top of the cornbread for about 1-2 minutes. Watch carefully—there is a narrow window between a brown top and scorched one.
8. Using chopsticks or a fork, prick the cornbread in several places. Drizzle desired amount of honey over cornbread. Serve immediately with butter
More from This Book Cooks: Curried Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Reprinted with permission from This Book Cooks by Kerry Dunnington and published by Artichoke Publishers, 2015.