40 to 45 minutes COOK TIME
Yields about 3 dozen SERVINGS
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups flour
- 3 cups diced apples (tart varieties work best)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on opposite sides.
- In a large bowl, mix together butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla.
- In another large bowl, whisk cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and flour until well-combined. Add to sugar mixture, and mix well. Batter will be thick.
- Stir in apples and walnuts, if using. (The moisture in the apples will thin the batter to a brownie-like consistency.)
- Spread batter in prepared pan, pushing it into the corners and smoothing the top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean, with just a few crumbs clinging to it.
- Cool completely in pan, then lift out and cut into bite-sized bars.
This twist on traditional brownies makes a “blond” version that’s chewy like a brownie, and is flavored with apples, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts.