9 to 12 servings SERVINGS
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 bag (12 ounces) white baking chips, divided
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together sugar, butter, and cream cheese. Beat in egg. Stir in applesauce.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and mix to blend. Add to applesauce mixture, and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Fold half the nuts and half the baking chips into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Spread remaining chips and nuts over the top, and return to oven to melt the chips slightly.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.
- Serve alone, or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Learn how to can and bake with applesauce.