1 loaf SERVINGS
- 1/4 cup lard
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups raw, coarsely ground apples
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 2/3 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a standard-size loaf pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream lard and sugar together with an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in eggs.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into another bowl, and whisk to combine.
- Alternately add flour mixture and apples to creamed mixture, mixing well. Stir in lemon rind and nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool bread completely on a wire rack before turning out of pan.Want more homemade bread recipes from the Capper’s Farmer editors? Read Homemade Quick Bread Recipes.