2 hr 10 min DURATION
2 hr 10 min COOK TIME
Yields 4 servings SERVINGS
- 3 to 5 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 pound beef stew meat, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4-1/2 cups beef broth, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 large potatoes, cut into chunks
- Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a large stockpot. Add beef, and brown on all sides, adding more oil as needed. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add vinegar and 1 cup broth to the pot, and cook, scraping up any browned bits. Add beef, remaining broth, and bay leaves, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until beef is tender, about 1-1/2hours.
- Add onion and carrots, and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir in potatoes, and simmer for an additional 30 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender. If stew is dry, add some additional broth or water.